As we come into the one year anniversary of when we first went into lockdown (LOL), we thought it’d be nice to reflect on all the absolute chaos celebrities have been feeding us mortals to keep us going during these “trying” times.
And of course, all of the weird shit in between!
1. The ‘Imagine’ video.
I mean, this was tone deaf on sooooooo many levels. Literally. However, it still was fucking hilarious. The first time I watched this I got second hand embarrassment and actually had anxiety for them because it was so cringey. How they recovered from this I don’t know, because I still haven’t.
2. When Vanessa Hudgens said in an Instagram live that she “didn’t understand what all the fuss is about with this coronavirus thing, like it’s a virus? […] People are going to die.”
here’s the video for those who don’t have context pic.twitter.com/gPFTE6BHel— Proxcey ➐ (@ItsProxcey) March 17, 2020
It’s just a virus… that kills people.. you know? Get over it! DUH.
3. All of the celebs that fell victim to believing Italians were singing their songs on balconies when deaths and cases were at their worst in the country.
The videos were of course just random twitter users having a field day dubbing various pop songs over the top of real videos of Italians singing to each other during their first lockdown. The list includes Cheryl Cole, Madonna and Katy Perry even retweeted a video commenting that you “can’t break the human spirit” with the Hungarian flag emoji rather than the Italian one. I mean, the fact she genuinely thought her song ‘Roar’ would spring to mind when trying to bring people together is, again, hilarious.
4. When Kylie Jenner told us all last March that hiding her pregnancy prepared her for quarantine, because she “didn’t leave the house for months”. Like, okay? You win quarantine? Well done!
5. Speaking of the Kardashians, how could we forget Kim’s private birthday bash where 40 of her “closest” friends were rigorously tested and put through health screenings just so they could celebrate her birthday on a priavate island? LOL! People are dying Kim!!!
40 and feeling so humbled and blessed. There is not a single day that I take for granted, especially during these times when we are all reminded of the things that truly matter. pic.twitter.com/p98SN0RDZD— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) October 27, 2020
If you want to read more about our take on how this event and how the pandemic has effected our relationship with celebrity culture, you can do so here.
6. Speaking of Kar-Jenner birthdays (they just keep on giving) how could we forget Kendall’s party? And the fact it was only a mere two weeks after Kim came under fire for her private island soiree.
Ok Kendall Jenner blowing out candles as a masked waiter holds her cake and tries to move out of the way was actually the scariest thing I saw on Halloween pic.twitter.com/o46ri7TJ9W— Nicholindz Cage (@lolzlindz) November 1, 2020
The video (see above) of the waiting staff wearing a mask and wincing out of the way of her breath as she leans into him to blow out her birthday candles is truly haunting.
Could the cake not have just been placed on a table? Why did she have to purposely breath all over a mans face in the middle of a pandemic? WHAT WAS THE REASON?????
7. Another birthday offender – Rita Ora. Paying a posh restaurant five grand to host her birthday party days after telling her fans she can’t wait to celebrate with loved ones when she’s allowed.
8. Madonna’s (now deleted) creepy sermon-like speech from her bathtub filled with rose petals and what looked like milk, calling coronavirus the “great equaliser”. Like, what?
9. Keri Hilson, and other celebrities spreading the 5G is causing the coronavirus conspiracy theory!
Keri Hilson tweeted: “”People have been trying to warn us about 5G for YEARS. Petitions, organizations, studies…what we’re going thru is the affects of radiation. 5G launched in CHINA. Nov 1, 2019. People dropped dead. See attached & go to my IG stories for more. TURN OFF 5G by disabling LTE!!!”
Come on bab…
10. Dua Lipa. Just Dua Lipa’s whole existence during this pandemic has been outrageous. She spread the message ‘stay at home’ to all her fans and followers, yet aggressively went against this advice herself. Dua Lipa took more holidays during this pandemic than I have gone on in my whole 24 years of life.
PSA – STAY AT HOME 💔 pic.twitter.com/tFlPMfBqov— DUA LIPA (@DUALIPA) April 11, 2020
Babe, I know your album was banging, but that does not excuse your outrageous behaviour!
11. Dua Lipa’s boyfriend (with whom she had been travelling extensively with) Anwar Hadid, spreading to his following that he will not be having the vaccine. This obviously caused controversy because of how much he was travelling and he appeared to not be social distancing either. But the thing that shocked me the most about this was that he, his mom and sister Bella Hadid all have Lyme disease? Like, they literally all have an underlying health condition? WTF!
Anwar Hadid being an anti-xaxxer? Had that on my bingo card for sure. pic.twitter.com/eyPYqPaKJC— Ξvan Ross Katz (@evanrosskatz) December 26, 2020
It’s worth noting that Hadid has since denied that he is an anti-vaxxer, despite his previous statements.
12. Kanye West gifting Kim a hologram of her dead dad.
For my birthday, Kanye got me the most thoughtful gift of a lifetime. A special surprise from heaven. A hologram of my dad. ✨🤍 It is so lifelike! We watched it over and over, filled with emotion. pic.twitter.com/jD6pHo17KC— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) October 29, 2020
I really don’t know what to say about this one. But it was weird, and it actually scares me how much power you have when you’re rich. He literally bought a man back from the dead? Why is no one phased by this?
13. The Jeffree Star is fucking Kanye West rumour. Absolute gold.
I’m ready for Sunday Service 🕊 pic.twitter.com/6kCA4kNrfu— Jeffree Star (@JeffreeStar) January 6, 2021
14. The documentaries released about both Paris Hilton and Britney Spears. Finally the misogynists in media are being held accountable!
You can read more about our thoughts on that here.
15. Khloe Kardashian getting back together with Tristan. WHY?!
16. Kourtney Kardashian dating Travis Barker. I actually feel if we were not in a pandemic this wouldn’t have happened. This is like two strange parallel worlds merging together?? Anyone else scared by this??
17. Kimye’s impending divorce. It truly is the end of an era but, also, cannot wait to watch it all unfold on the new Hulu series!
18. Speaking of the Kardashians, how could we forget Scott Disick’s DM to Megan Barton Hanson in defence of Eyal Brooker! This was funny on so many levels. Like why does Scott Disick know who either of them are?! Why did he feel compelled to voice his opinion on our beloved Love Island?! Again, another example of the Kardashian family being able to transcend through parallel universes.
19. And while we’re on the subject of Scott Disick… Why is he – a 37 year old – dating a 19 year old he’s known since she was a child? (On multiple Real Housewives of Beverly Hills episodes Lisa Rinna and her daughters – the youngest of whom is dating Disick – have spoken about going to the Kardashian annual christmas party since they were children).
20. And of course, Alec Baldwin’s wife Hilaria/Hillary being outed for impersonating a Spanish person and lying about her heritage for years. Absolutely hilarious. All her children have spanish names? Obviously you can call your kids whatever you want, but I truly believe this was to just sell the story even more so to her husband. It has also since been reported that Alec Baldwin had moved out of the family home, and he is now back and they have a baby??? Like what???
This Hilaria Baldwin cucumber video….. pic.twitter.com/08hR6qAHfr— Aura Bogado (@aurabogado) December 27, 2020
“Ehh… How you say in English? Cucumber!” LOOOOOL.